Lewis Halliday takes victory at Forest Edge

June 3, 2019


Lewis Halliday wrapped up round four of the Forest Edge Kart Club Championship in impressive fashion taking victory by just under one second in Senior Rotax. In a grid that was good enough to carry a British Championship label, Lewis was on fire all weekend and although his Southern Champs campaign on Saturday ended in disappointing fashion, his fight back on Sunday couldn’t have gone any better!

After the disappointment on Saturday, Lewis was in no mood to settle for anything other than a win on Sunday. With all the best in the country present winning was never going to be easy, but from the off Lewis looked very strong.

The opening heat saw Lewis starting back in thirteenth on the grid putting him right in the middle of the 29-kart field. After a clean start Lewis went straight on the attack picking drivers off one by one almost every lap. With just a couple laps to go Lewis was up to second and took chunks out of the leader once there, but with the nine-lap counter up it was a second to get the day started. 

For heat two Lewis would start all the way back in 27th place on the penultimate row of the grid. After getting straight up to seventeenth on lap one Lewis repeated his performance from heat one moving up the field almost every single lap eventually going on to finish in tenth place. Perhaps even more impressive was that by the end he was just three seconds behind the race leader with the fastest second sector of the race! 

The third and final heat saw Lewis start on the inside of row three. With some big names at the front winning the race was going to be far from easy and after holding position at the start Lewis started his move up the lead group on lap two making two places in as many laps. Heading into the second half of the race Lewis jumped into second passing the number seven seed Myles Apps.

However, leader Sam Stansbury now lay 1.3 seconds ahead and it quickly became clear that second was going to be the best result which was enough to give Lewis a front row start for the final.

Off the start Lewis dropped to third place but with a twelve-lap final in total Lewis kept calm before quickly fighting back on lap two. Now past Luke Wooder, full attention turned to polesitter and race leader Matthew Jones. With a half, a second gap to close down Lewis had completed the task by lap five and wasted no time hitting the front. 

Lewis showed conviction when taking the lead quickly building a half a second gap and breaking the tow to the chasing pack. It was a crucial point in the race which left Lewis in control and allowed him to go on and take a commanding race win! A fantastic result and a great turnaround from the disappointments of Saturday.